I do not like being scared. When I was a little girl, my mom would take any chance to scare me. There was a particular incident where she put on a scary mask, and pulled back the shower curtain on me when I was but a wee girl. Yeah, thanks mom, if you could pick up the therapy bill, that would be great (I kid, I kid – maybe).
When I started dating my husband, he got me in to watching scary movies. And by watching I mean sitting beside him in full on chick vision, while he actually enjoys the movie.
My mom is thrilled – she has a permanent scary movie watching partner. You two have fun, I’ll be over here cowering under a blanket eating snacks.
Which brings me to the reason for today’s post: Monster Mash Snack Mix. Popcorn coated with peanut butter infused caramel, mixed with salty peanuts and pretzels and sweet peanut butter candies. I’ll gladly pretend to watch a scary movie, as long as I can munch on this delicious snack!
The best part is the peanut butter caramel is made in the microwave – no standing in front of the stove with a candy thermometer – this recipe is super quick and easy, leaving you more time to snack in front of the TV.
I mixed in Reese’s Pieces, and actually wanted to incorporate candy corn, but my grocery store was already sold out of all things Halloween (you snooze, you lose). If you want to make it extra spooky, some candy eyes would be really cute in this. Of course, with all of the candy options this time of year, you can really mix in your favs and make this your own.
Sweet and Salty Monster Mash Snack Mix
- 12 cups of popcorn (either pop your favorite microwave popcorn, or air pop – whatever you can on hand will work)
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 1 cup pretzels
- 1 cup peanut butter (full disclosure – I used reduced fat, and had no issues)
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup Reese’s Pieces candy
- Optional – add in any of your favorite candies. Candy corn, Milk Duds, the world’s your oyster
- Pop your popcorn using your desired method. Place in a roasting pan, or large bowl, and add peanuts and pretzels, stirring to mix together.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, add corn syrup, and brown sugar. Microwave on high for two minutes, or until bubbling. Remove from microwave and quickly stir in peanut butter and salt.
- Working quickly, add popcorn and stir to coat (or you can pour caramel over popcorn in roasting pan, just make sure to transfer the mixture back to the bowl).
- Return mixture in large bowl to microwave – microwave for 5 minutes, stirring about every one and half minutes.
- Give the warm popcorn a final mix, and then add in candies stirring thoroughly to incorporate.
- Cool to “set” the caramel. Plop down in front of the couch with your favorite Halloween movies, and enjoy.
Did you miss my Halloween House Tour? Make sure to check it out!
This post contains affiliate links. I will receive a small compensation if you purchase from the links, but at no additional cost to you.